Essay 1 – Comparing Two Arguments – Linguistics 94
For this paper, you will compare two articles on the issue of binge drinking on university campuses: “Stop Babysitting College Students” by Froma Harrop and “Binge Drinking must be Stopped” by Henry Wechsler. To compare the arguments of Wechsler and Harrop, follow the directions below. Outline their different arguments, explaining where they contradict one another and identifying claims that are different but not directly contradictory. What are some of the reasons the authors give to justify their claims?
Content and Organization
1. In your introduction, introduce the two authors, their backgrounds (if possible), and the topic they discuss. Write about how the authors organize their texts and develop their claims.
2. In your first internal paragraph(s), discuss the claim and at least two problems that Wechsler writes about. Provide specific evidence from the text to support your comments.
3. In your second internal paragraph(s), present Harrop’s claim and at least two problems that the she mentions. Provide specific evidence from the reading to support your comments.
4. In two or three additional paragraphs, compare/contrast the problems that each author discusses, including the differences between the problems and the ways they are presented in the text.
5. Conclude with a statement in which you sum up the similarities and differences between the two texts. You can mention not only claims and evidence, but audience(s), purpose(s), and writer’s tone.
Paper Length and Format
Your essay will be typed in 12 point font, double space, with one inch margins.
Your essay will be 3-4 pages.
You will give your paper a title.
You will staple your paper.