You have already chosen a primary source for your Draft Analytical Essay on Primary Sources. You will continue analyzing that primary source.
You begin this assignment by reading or viewing the one primary source you chose and analyze its meaning by making notes on your answers to the questions below:
- What kind of primary source is it?
- Who is the author or creator (if known)?
- Can you tell why was it written or created?
- What is the primary source’s tone? What words and phrases (and/or scenes and visual perspectives) convey it?
- What are the author’s or creator’s values and assumptions are? Is there visible bias? Explain your answers.
- What information does it relate? Did the author or creator have first-hand knowledge of the subject or did s/he report what others saw and heard?
- What issues does it address?
- What is your overall assessment of the primary source and its usefulness/significance for the historical study of your topic?
Only to be done by a specific source.