Causes of Violence
You want to know what is it that would cause someone to commit a violent act. You may look for answers by placing the blame on family situations, childhood trauma, poverty, money, education, or video games.
For this assignment, you will research and examine the role of drugs, alcohol, mental illness, and brain injuries on violent behavior.
You will write a 4- to 6-page report that includes an explanation of these concepts (role of drugs, alcohol, mental illness, and brain injuries) as they apply to violent behavior. You should provide specific examples, rationales, and evidence. Respond to the following in your report:
- Identify the types of mental illnesses that are most likely to be associated with violent behavior.
- Explain how a brain injury might impact an individual’s tendency toward violent actions.
- Investigate if there any drugs or other illnesses that would heighten or lesson one’s tendency toward violent behavior.
- Explain how the criminal justice system should respond when one of the following causes is identified: role of drugs, alcohol, mental illness, brain injuries, or other illnesses. Explain whether the focus should be on rehabilitation or punishment.
- Support your responses with examples.
- Cite all the sources in APA format.