This is a 2-part assignment. 1,200 – 1,500 words. See Attachment for scenario
Consider the scenario from the perspective of (1) the police, (2) the courts, and (3) corrections. From each perspective, answer the following questions:
- Where would discretion be appropriate?
- Where would discretion not be appropriate?
- Give an example of how discretion (if used in this capacity) could change the outcome of the case.
In the context of the United States criminal justice system, select any 2 of the questions listed below. Your response should provide sufficient detail on each of the topics, and you should address the topic of discretion within the criminal justice system.
- What factors influence the exercise of discretion?
- What are some of the methods for controlling discretion?
- What are some ethical considerations for discretion?
- Do you think there is too much discretion in the criminal justice system? Explain.
- Do you think it would be desirable to limit the amount of discretion in the criminal justice system? If so, how would you do it? What might be the effects?