Review the following scenario:
Your process team has two deliverables due shortly, each for a different client in a different industry but with the same fundamental objective of analyzing the current manufacturing or service operation and recommending changes. The first client, SBS Seating, manufactures front seats for several major car manufacturers, while the second is MLD Hospital’s Diagnostic Medicine unit.
- SBS Seating manufactures leather seating that consists of various components, such as frames; electrical parts (heating and comfort features); padding; and leather sewing (final assembly). Each of these components is developed at separate locations, and the final assembly is done at the main plant.
- MLD Hospital’s Diagnostic Medicine unit is primarily responsible for processing patients’ blood work. Patients are directed to one or more collection offices where blood is drawn, and then the blood is sent to various other departments depending on the test.
Your task is to develop a high-level analysis of both clients’ manufacturing processes as a preliminary report that will subsequently be delivered to the client. In this report, include the following:
- Contrast and compare manufacturing and service operations, and identify which to apply to SBS and MLD.
- Determine if SBS and MLD use batch or continuous flow processes in their manufacturing. Should they modify significantly? Support your answer by providing examples based on the scenario, the addenda mentioned above, and any additional research.
- Determine if JIT or kanban principles can apply to either SBS or MLD, and justify your answer.
Please add your file.