We live in a world of “Big data.” Big data warrants innovative processing solutions for a variety of new and existing data to provide real business benefits. However, processing large volumes or wide varieties of data remains merely a technological solution unless it is tied to business goals and objectives. Gartner, a global consulting firm, defines Big data as “high-volume, -velocity, and -variety information assets that demand cost-effective, innovative forms of information processing for enhanced insight and decision making.” (Gartner, para.1).
In 2013 alone, over a trillion gigabytes of new data was expected to be created globally. Big data presents a big challenge as well as exciting new opportunities for organizations to rise above the competition. This assignment explores these important issues.
Use the Argosy University online library resources to locate two peer-reviewed journal articles from the professional business literature that analyzes a firm’s use of big data. Look for articles that also address consumer/client privacy issues associated with big data.
Complete the following:
- Critically analyze the value of the approach suggested by the articles.
- Discuss why the approach is of value for marketing and branding decision making.
- Evaluate the content of the articles as well as counterarguments providing support from the literature.
- Discuss the consumer/client privacy issues that might impact the use of Big data based on your additional research.
- Assess the value of the reading in the context of your current organization or an organization of your choice.