Discussion Rules of Engagement:
- Be polite and professional.
- Keep an open mind.
- Keep personal information personal.
- Issue complaints privately.
- Be patient.
- Be honest.
Before You Begin…
To successfully complete your assignment, you should have completed the following tasks:
- From your textbook, Keys to effective learning: Study skills and habits for success, read:
- Critical and creative thinking: Solving problems and making decisions
- Memory: Maximizing recall for test success
- Reading and studying: Focusing on print and online materials
- Review materials under the topic of “Memory Techniques”
For this assignment, refer back to the memory techniques you learned this module. Try some of these techniques to see what works best for you.
Choose any three of the following of the mnemonic devices you learned about: jingles, sentences, words, story lines, acronyms, or pegging. Pick methods that are new or not very familiar to you.
Then, try out the three methods to memorize any information that you want to remember later. For example, you could use the following:
- Material that has been covered in this course so far
- Information from a book (such as a textbook)
- A list of vocabulary words and their definitions (either in English or in a foreign language)
- A list of telephone numbers
- Any other information that you always wished you could remember
After you think you have memorized the information, test yourself 30 minutes later, then a few hours later, and if you are working on this assignment ahead of the due date (as you are always encouraged to do), a day later.
On the basis of the above activity, write a response in approximately 300 words in which you:
- Name and describe the three memory techniques you selected.
- Compare and contrast the effectiveness of the different techniques with one another and with any memory techniques you used before this assignment.
- Explain whether you find that your preferred memory technique coincides with your learning preference that you identified in Module 1.
- Describe which technique(s) you will use in the future and why.
By the due date assigned, post your response to this Discussion Area.
Feel free to share any other memory techniques you have found useful.
Make sure that you check your response for spelling, grammar, and punctuation before posting.
Through the end of the module make sure you have provided substantive comments to at least two of your classmates’ posts. (This does not include your responses to their comments about your own initial post.)
Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions
Quality of responses to classmates
Frequency of responses to classmates
Reference to supporting readings and other materials
Language and grammar