1. “Power and System” Please respond to the following: An accurate definition of the current IR system and how power is distributed is crucial in forming a sound foreign policy. Roskin and Berry allude to the tendency toward idealism in international politics before WWII ended in 1945, but the tendency toward realism after that year.
· Research two countries whose relationship has been in the news recently. Visit a reputable Website, newspaper, or TV broadcast to catch up on the latest events in their interactions. Next, discuss why is it sometimes difficult to define the current IR system and if you had to choose from one of the many suggested names, which one would you select? Justify your response.
· Compare and contrast at least three (3) key differences between the world before 1945 and the world after that year with respect to international relations. Next, explain the causes of the transition (from idealism to realism). Provide support for your response.
2. America in Vietnam” Please respond to the following: The Vietnam War was a counterinsurgency that involved us in guerilla warfare that was similar, in some ways, to what we face in Afghanistan today. But the way the Vietnam War was conducted was considered to be immoral and unjust by many.
· Describe the prevailing arguments of what constitutes a “just war,” and assess the justice of the Vietnam War in that context.
· Speculate on how the world would be different today if the U.S. had not become involved in Vietnam.
3. “The Collapse of the Soviet Union” Please respond to the following: Roskin discusses three theories about causes of the collapse of the Soviet Union.
· Choose one of these theories and explain how it relates to the collapse of the USSR, and assess and justify whether it relates to its internal or external foreign policy.
· Discuss whether all three of the causes are equally at fault, or whether one, more than the other, is the basic culprit of the demise of the USSR.