Review “Poetic Syntax” (pp. 2053–2073) in The Norton Anthology of Poetry.
Select three poems from either the 17th or 18th century.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper that explains how you would analyze the nature of English-language poetry in the 17th or 18th century. Describe the process of analyzing the poems you selected. Include examples from the poems to show which details would be analyzed.
Identify the following in your paper:
- The historical context to research
- The sort of linguistic research to perform
- The sort of poetic or artistic analysis to engage in
Consider the following prompts to start your thinking (but remember that this paper is written in third person):
- If one were to analyze these poems, one would . . .
- The function of this analysis is . . .
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines unless you are an English major; then use MLA.