Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Dissect criminal justice ethical issues and practices.
- Competency 3: Compare different ethics systems in a criminal justice community and leadership context.
- Competency 4: Articulate how personal biases affect ethical approaches to criminal justice dilemmas.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
In this unit, the focus shifts to “why do people act in ethical or unethical ways?” Philosophers, religious scholars, biologists, psychologists, sociologists, and criminologists have all tried to explain why people do bad things. Biology, learning theory, and Kohlberg’s moral stages are used to explain why people behave the way they do. The focus then turns to issues concerning ethics teaching and training. It seems clear that training alone is not sufficient and must be combined with ethical leadership, which in turn, is essential for the ethical organization. The greatest protection against corruption of power is a belief in a commitment to the democratic process and all it entails.
After reviewing the media Ethical Decisions – Who Do You Owe?, place yourself in the role of the FBI special agent who is faced with dilemma portrayed in the media. What should you do? Would you report this trainee to a supervisor? Would you talk to his father about it and hope he would handle it? What if this trainee becomes an agent and continues to engage in future misconduct?
In your paper:
- Identify the variables that you would consider in determining your approach to the situation.
- Determine whether you would report an FBI trainee for cheating on a written examination.
- Predict the possible implications of not reporting the misconduct.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: Support your ideas and opinions with appropriate resources.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations as per current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: Three pages, not including the title page and the references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.